Wednesday 27 August 2008

Day 1: Perusing

As I was perusing several different websites, I found one that I particularly enjoyed by Tommy Kane. Kane is entertaining and has a creative style at work. Each entry seems unique and reveals something interesting, whether it is an artistic point of view or a sense of humor. One of his blogposts, "Batty", caught my eye (http://www.tommykane.blogspot.com). This particular post includes a picture that shows a painting of Batman, a list of reasons of how the painting could be improved, and a story about him discovering a bat in his sleeping quarters while staying at a friend's house.
While these pieces do not necessarily have very much in common, I still thought each part was enjoyable. The painting itself is not poorly done as it is described in the caption. It's way better than my first oil painting that I attempted today in Painting 1. Even though he makes it sound like the paper was not cooperating, there is still a great deal of detail that can be observed and obtained from this piece. He even included such detail as a Batman logo.
The writing for this blog is also an important aspect. Mr. Kane wrote captions both on and below his art. His stream-of-conscious writing style makes it easy to relate to especially when he talks about having to rely on a low art supply. I have been doing the same because of limited funds and outrageous art fees. The story beneath the picture adds a more light-hearted tone to the blog entry because it provides a humorous touch.
I think that each part of this post was essential because it allowed Kane to express several different thoughts and feelings by using a detailed visual to connect with his written material.

No comments: