Tuesday 23 September 2008

The Story of My Twig Project


My Project Step-By-Step
:



This was my first model that was critiqued in our small groups. When we discussed my project I realized it needed a lot of work. Styrofoam was my binding agent and I had difficulty getting my twigs to remain stable in it. I also needed to do some work on my cutting job with the foam board. Also the project was very 2D, small-scale, and a little too simplistic at this point.



I spent a large quantity of time trying to manipulate the styrofoam in different ways to try to get it to hold the twigs better. I found some larger twigs to use and this helped improve the scale of the project as well as the stability of the twigs. Since they were both thicker and wider, there was more tension to hold the model together.




This is two views of my final project. Both views show more visual interest than my earlier models. I made up for lack of stability by using the paper as additional support for the styrofoam. This step also helped with making the project show up in a more 3D perspective from any angle which was one of my orignial goals.




My project as a Whole
This project was much more dynamic than the previous model I created for the leaf project. I moved away from a simple central focus to a more complex model overall. The goal I had in doing this was to make my model stand out. It needed more of a 3D support in order for this to happen. The transition I made was tedious but I learned along the way how to manipulate my materials better. Some improvements I made to my model was that I changed my twigs to colorful ones that stood out more, I moved away from a flat support and focused more on creating an abstract shaped support to add visual interest, and I became more aware of the precise measurements of my work. By the end of this process, my original model looked nothing like my final. I lost count of how many models I made, but it paid off to make more than I needed. Because I had so many separate ideas from each model to work with, I was able to combine all of these ideas into one concept.

No comments: