Sunday 12 October 2008

Comparing Projects



I chose to compare my unity model with Kristen Sylvia's model. My project was unified with skewers that met at three different places and created an "x' crossing. Kristen Sylvia's project was completely different than mine but it was interesting to compare our strategies. She combined several modules to create an overall feeling of unification, while my project could be seen as more of a single unit overall. Another aspect of her project, that I thought was very interesting, was the way in which she manipulated her bristol board. Her module consisted of a sail shaped piece of paper that had another piece of paper overlapping it. The second piece of paper was folded into ridges to contrast the sail. She had a unique style that showed up very well in her work. I appreciated that her project was completely different than anyone of the other ones. My project used the same materials and was approximately the same size, yet because she chose to use that specific module, her project didn't look anything like mine. My project was a series of folded pieces of paper, mostly just folded in half. My precedent was a Chinese temple in which the archicture was sort of reflected through my model. I think because I had more of a set precedent that my model was more literal and less abstract. Kristen's was the opposite because she figured out a pattern to use as soon as she started working and she used that pattern all the way through her project. I, on the other hand, created several completely different models and eventually settled with one that fit the same qualitites as my precedent.

No comments: